TransUSA Exchange FAQ

Why should I choose TransUSA Exchange?

TransUSA Exchange is a reliable and transparent Cultural Exchange Organization with over 15 years of experience in the industry.

We’re known for giving the best support in the industry. Our participants have said that we “give you the personal treatment you deserve and not the email automatic response many others do.” 

In short, our mission is to create unique and unforgettable experiences for participants. In the process, we connect our partner employers with the best talent available worldwide.

How do I apply?

Click here! If you are eligible to enroll, we will connect with you via Skype to discuss your program goals.

Can I choose where I live and work?

Yes! Our interviewer will ask you where you would like to intern or train. We recommend researching the area to make sure you will be comfortable living and working there.

How should I format my resume?

Download our template! Or, watch our YouTube tutorial and make your own!

What qualifications does a trainee need?

To participate in the training program you must either be: 
  •  – A foreign national holding a degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary academic institution outside of the U.S. You must also have at least one year of prior work experience related to your field.
  • OR

  •  – A foreign national with at least 5 years of related work experience in your occupational field acquired outside of the U.S.

What qualifications does an intern need?

To participate in the internship program you must be:

– Currently enrolled in a foreign post-secondary academic institute outside of the U.S., 


– Graduated from an institution no more than 12 months prior to the exchange visitor program start date.


What is included in my program?

Internship and Training programs both include the following

– DS 2019 Form to assist you in obtaining a J-1 Visa
– DS 7002 Training Plan
– Medical Insurance
– Web/Phone interview with host organization
– Placement guarantee
– Identification on housing leads
– Continuous support while in the U.S.


What is not included in my program?

The following are not included in either Internship or Training Programs:

– International/Domestic Airfare
– Visa Application Fee
– Housing Fee & Deposits
– Extra money for personal use


Can I do a second or third internship in the U.S.?

YES! Send your resume and previous DS-7002 training plan to 

How good does my English have to be?

Your English language skills must be sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in the program environment, both socially and professionally.

Is there an age limit?

There is no age limit on the internship or training programs. Your application will be considered so long as you meet the educational, occupational, and language requirements of the program.


Do I have to stay with my host employer?

Yes. You signed a legally binding agreement and must fulfill it. Extenuating circumstances do allow participants to change employers. Please contact your host employer and TransUSA Exchange if you need to change employers.

What if I’m fired?

If you are fired by your Host Organization or elect to quit your program without prior written consent, you will be placed on program probation. This may result in visa sponsorship termination. Once your visa has been terminated you will be required to depart the U.S. immediately and will not receive reimbursement of any program fees.

Can I work with more than one employer?

No. You may not seek additional paid training with any other Host Organization other than the one listed on your DS-7002 Training Plan.

What am I allowed to do when I am not with my employer?

You may do anything you want as long as you are not breaking the law. We recommend reviewing your state’s laws so you are familiar with them and avoid any unnecessary legal action.

What if I’m injured?

Job-related injuries are covered by Worker’s Compensation. Your host employer will refer you to their Worker’s Compensation insurance policy. All non job-related injuries will be covered by your medical insurance.

Who do I contact in emergencies?

You may contact TransUSA Exchange for any program related emergencies or support you may require. In the event of a life-threatening situation, contact the appropriate authorities by dialing 911 from any telephone.

Do I need to have medical insurance for the duration of my program?

Yes. You are required by the U.S. Department of State regulations to be covered under health insurance throughout the duration of your program.

Can I smoke or drink while in the U.S.?

All smoking and drinking must be done in accordance with the rules of your Host Organization and housing. The legal age to consume alcohol in the U.S. is 21 years old.

Do I need car insurance to drive in the U.S.?

Yes. You must secure motor vehicle insurance coverage prior to driving a car. The laws of each state in the U.S. are different in regards to motor vehicle insurance coverage. 

Can I borrow funds from my Host Organization?

No. If you are unable to cover personal expenses, or if you borrow heavily from hosts or others during the program, you are subject to program dismissal and repatriation/termination.

Do you work with private sponsors?

No. However, if you are interested in a private sponsor, there are directories (linked at the bottom of this page) which contain contact details for such organizations.


What is a U.S. Visa?

 A visa is the travel document you must obtain in order to participate in your internship or training program. It is placed inside of your passport and acts as a request to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to allow you entry into the country. 

What is the difference between a visa and a passport?

 A passport is used to verify your country of citizenship. If you travel outside of your country, it is used to regain entry. A visa is an endorsement placed within your passport granting you permission to enter the country in question.

What kind of visas are there and what do I need for my internship/training program?

The most common visa types are tourist, work, student, and transit. Because you will be holding a paid position in the U.S., you will be issued a J-1 work visa.